The Passion Play Theatre has a long tradition, but it wasn’t always the venue of the Passion Play. The first performance of the “play of the suffering, death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ” was performed in 1634 at the cemetery next to the parish church – on the fresh graves of the plague victims and on nothing more than a simple wooden construction. Only in 1830 was the stage relocated to the northern edge of the village based on plans by Nikolaus Unhoch. The then layout-plan, which offered space for 5000 spectators in the theatre, still characterises the structure of the Passion Play Theatre as we know it today.
In 1890 the stage was renewed and a section of the seats was put under a roof. 10 years later, at the 29th instalment, an iron construction that is open to the open-air stage was erected and extended in 1930. This construction was the basis of today’s auditorium. The stage as also re-built in a clear, monumental shape that has seen little alteration since then. In 2000 the auditorium of the Passion Play Theatre was renovated and given a new façade.